Monday, February 17, 2014

Rowing sucks. And I love it.

I'd love to just be able to lift, eat right, and make my muscles get huge. Not gonna happen right now.

While muscles are essential for insulin response, fat is a hindrance.  Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

So I've spent about a week at a plateau. I'm sitting within a 2-3 pound window and not losing. Bad juju. I am however, upping my insulin response to basically normal levels. After lunch sunday, I ate a couple of protein bars. I forgot I ate them and took my glucose and got a 305.  Obviously bad. But as a diabetic, I know, and you should if you are, that you shouldn't take your glucose until two hours after a meal, and that your target is 140 or lower.

I was maybe 15 minutes out on eating them. I admit, I panicked a bit, but I was at work and didn't have meds, or anything else with me. I was just going to have to ride it out. 15 minutes later, I took it again and got a 102. So I took it again and got a 98. 

I expected a hypoglycemic event shortly there after and began looking for a place to get a muscle milk or V8. Both are fairly low carb, but they do have carbs and some other good things.

It didn't happen. On it's own, with no meds, my body reacted to high glucose and it fixed it. Good body, you get a treat.... 

So that's progress.




Later that night at the gym, I did arms. Damn I'm pathetic, but we knew this.
Bench press,
OHP on a Smith machine.  50x10x2, 70x6x2
Barbell press. 30x10x3
Bar x10, 95x10, 95x6. 
Tricep rope push down  50x10, 70x10, 50x10
I dicked around on the deltoid machine thing for a bit, then went looking for something else to do. I can only do so much with that shoulder as it's still healing (i hope).  My gym has a kind of playroom type deal, with every thing from medicine balls to kettle bells to platforms for jumping, bars for power lifting and a rack set up that can be used for anything from dips, to monkey bars, to a squat rack, etc. I usually just do squats and deadlifts in there, and sometimes a kettlebell workout. But they have two rowing machines. Screw it, why not. I've heard it's a kick ass workout. So I get to pulling.

HO LEE SHIT.
It was a wonderful hell. I 'rowed' 1800 meters according to the machine. I had muscles on fire that I barely knew I had. The Tibalus Anterior muscle sits on your shin on the upper half.   The majority of the world will never know they have them because they're pretty hard to develop. Two things, driving a truck means I left the front of my feet a lot, which helps, annnnnnnd I'm fat. So I have pretty muscled up legs. Consider the weight they carry. Most importantly, It completely smoked me. Which is a good thing. I needed that. My sugar levels need that.

My sugar readings, with that one exception are in the 100 to 120 range.  I have dipped to the mid 70s twice, and I don't know why, but for a 'normal' reading, I start feeling like hell. I'm no fan of that at all. I get shaky and weak.  And frankly, it's a bit scary.  But both times it was when I took meds

I guess I'm to the point of not needing them as long as I eat right.

Tomorrow, as long as my shoulder is healed, Squats and deadlifts. And some rowing.  I'll go for 2000 meters this time.

Oh, and I skipped the gym today. But I spent 4 hours on various emergency scenes. No fun at all. But a damn good way to burn some energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment