Sunday, February 9, 2014

Let's talk food, after some numbers

I split and stacked firewood this morning, so no gym time.
Last night, I hit it though.
Dead lifts:
5x135, 5x225, 5x315, Failed twice at 405, 1x365
Squats:
5xbar, 5x135, 5x225, 1x245

I couldn't get a bench or OH rack in the time I had, so I squeezed some dumbbell presses. We've established that I have moobs, not pecs, so I did what I could. 10x25, 10x30, 10x35.  I had more left, I just didn't have time, so I'll increase each of those weights 5lbs from now on. My first real growth. That's a good thing.

Yesterday's morning sugar was 78.
I forgot to get a morning sugar today, but morning weight was 291.8.  I'm guessing that it's a low point in the up and down cycle that forms the downward trend. Still, it's puts the 280s within reach, and psychologically, that's huge.

Now, food. I'm all about increasing a knowledge base, so I asked on a forum I'm on what keto dieters are eating. I got some great responses.

Here are my staples:
Thin breakfast steaks.
Chicken breasts, seasoned different ways.
Celery with cream cheese. Sometimes the cream cheese will be mixed up with dried onion soup mix and left to sit for a few hours.
Lettuce wraps. Surprisingly versatile. Chicken, lettuce, onions and/or shallots with some ceaser dressing and Romano is excellent. You can also do traditional taco filling for a burrito type deal.
Salsa with romas, an avocado, some garlic and lots of cilantro. Supposedly cilantro is a hell of a toxin cleanser. You can add in some parsley as well, as it's supposed to pull even more toxins out and doesn't have an overwhelming taste.
Mushrooms, lots of mushrooms. Sauteed in some real butter with salt, heaven.
Sausage cut up and sauteed with sauerkraut and onions.
Eggs obviously, we have our own laying hens. I usually eat two a day.
And Kroger carbmaster "yogurt", though I'm working them and other artificially sweetened stuff out of my diet.
Pickles, Olives, Pickled okra.
Broccoli with ranch.

Tonight, I made this pizza. Now, I've tried low carb pizzas before, and they sucked.  Not this time. It was pretty damn good.

On the forum, I was given links to a few ideas, in addition to the above pizza, Pancakes (use sugar free syrup)

Bacon Muffins   That's from Caveman Keto. You'll find lots of other recipes there. 

The bottom line is that eating this way doesn't have to be boring.  I'd love to just tell you to get the mentality that food is fuel, and taste doesn't matter. But reality isn't that easy. I know. I have tried and failed at this before. As I'm sure many of you have.  Variety will make it a tad easier.
Now, go lift something.

No comments:

Post a Comment