Monday, February 10, 2014

Lets talk about excuses. And why they're bullshit.

I constantly hear excuses about why dieting is hard. About why someone can't/won't work out. About all kinds of shit.

Shut up. Just shut the hell up. The number one thing you have to do to overcome any issue, is the knowledge that you can overcome it. Do not think, do not wonder, do not question, KNOW that you can. 

You can't work out today because you hurt your arm? Ok, do squats. Do some cardio.  Hurt your ankle? I bet you can do some knee push ups.  You can probably lay flat on your back and do leg raises.

Ronnie Coleman, 8 time Mr Olympia, put it simply. "Everybody wants to be a body builder, don't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight".    Let's break it down. The goal. The path. You don't get the goal with taking the path. Run the path, walk the path, crawl the path. In the end, the only thing blocking that path is YOU.

You want to eat a piece of cake, you want to drink a coke, both require you to lift that fork or that cup to your mouth. You can just as easily walk to the trash can or sink and throw that shit away. And yes, I know what it feels like. I know it can be painful to say no. But, you have to overcome it.  

Let me give you a new way of looking at it, and this is what did it for me.  You should know before hand, that I'm a student of Ayn Rand, and view money very differently than most people. Google "D'Anconia money speech" to understand.  Anyway, money is a commodity we use to exchange one value for another.  When money voluntarily leaves your hand, you're buying something. It may be the good feeling you have from giving money to the needy, but you're buying something.  Loosening up our definition of money for a minute, look at it this way:  Every minute of time you put in a gym, every bad food you put down, every good food you pick up, is a business exchange. You're buying something with those actions.

What you're buying is one thing that nobody else can give you.  Time. Time with your children, time with your grandchildren, time with your spouse. Time watching birds. Time hunting. Time for whatever you want to do.  It doesn't matter what you decided to do with that time. It's yours.

Conversely, every day you spend continuing to be an uncontrolled or poorly controlled diabetic, every day you spend being a fat ass, you're buying time from yourself. You are taking time away from your life, you're taking time from your kids, your grand kids, your wife or husband, your friends.

Is sitting on your ass eating pizza watching Jerry Springer really worth it? No. It's not. If you think it is, I can't help you. Do those around you a favor and pre pay for your funeral.   And if you're diabetic, go ahead and set aside a bank account to fund the issues from your blindness and your wheelchair that you're going to need when they amputate a foot.  Don't worry about saving for a prosthetic, you won't need it. They require work and dedication to learn to use. If you eat yourself into that point, you don't stand a chance.  You'll stink, You'll be using a bed pan. You'll be stuck watching tv all damn day.  Bottom line, your quality of life will be absolute shit.

Stop the bullshit. Stop telling yourself lies. Stop making excuses!  You know why the idea of hiking the grand canyon scares you? Because it's work. You know why you're scared to go enjoy the beach? Because you're fat. Guess what, if you get in shape, you won't have those worries any more.   The knowledge in this blog and in so many other sources is intended to lay a path out. It's not the only path, but it's a path. It's taking me to where I want to go. It can take you to where you want to go.

Keep in mind, I'm only about 4 weeks out of a an A1C of 12.8. Which is damn near as suicidal as cutting my own throat. Today, a mere 4 weeks later, I'm med free. My morning sugars are averaging about 100, and have been as low as the high 70s. My resting heart rate is down over 20 points. My blood pressure is down. I feel amazing. I feel like an absolutely new person.  I've even changed my contact/glasses prescription.  Could I stop now? No. Why? Because I'd end up like I was before, and that person was a fat lazy slob.

I like the person I was scared to be. I'm a guy that goes inside burning buildings whenever the opportunity arises. Yet I was scared to make these changes. I made excuses. I'm telling you, it takes very little time to notice a change and to start enjoying it.  I'm still a big dude, but not as big. People in the supermarket didn't see me 30 lbs ago. They didn't see me last week at 3 lbs heavier. They won't see me next week at 2 lbs lighter. They don't matter. I see me. I matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment