Thursday, February 6, 2014

Insert boring name here.... or.....numbers.

No huge news, something odd though, and I just really don't understand it.

Yesterday I did a bunch of running around before I hit the gym. Including donating blood. I did a "double", meaning they took out red blood cells and platelets, and put the plasma back in. This of course decreased my ability to carry as much oxygen, and weakened my gym performance. No biggie.

Diet wise, keep in mind, I'm basically doing the induction phase of Atkins, meaning very low carbs a day. I keep it to under 15 most days. Now, yesterday, for lunch, I had two gyros, no bread. Which equaled about one total. Not a huge meal, lots of protein maybe 8 carbs between the onions, tomatoes and sauce. My sugars had been perfect all day. I left there and headed for the gym. 8oz bcaa shake, 12oz protein shake, a total of 6 carbs. Nothing should have really spiked my glucose.  A solid hour of arms with a little shoulder and back work mixed in.
15 minutes after a work out, my glucose was 185. That seemed stupid, so I took it again, 140, to verify, I took it again. 155. Literally, all 3 tests in under a minute. Logically, I'd assume my meter went stupid, as a few point variation is normal, even out of the same drop of blood, but 45 points is not normal.

An hour or so later I took it again, after my reward coffee (with lots of cinnamon on top, with some sweet and low and cream) I drove up to my wife's work, took it again, 105. Right where it should have been.  Now, I didn't take any pills at all, so my body did the work to pull the glucose reading down. When I got home, I verified my meter against another one and they were within a few points.  So this falls under the heading of "hell, I don't know". Though my hunch is that the 185 was a freak reading.

Now, the good news. I'm seeing new numbers on the scale. 293 as of a few minutes ago.  Yeah, 40-50 more pounds need to come off, but I'll happily take it.

While we're on the subject of numbers, a couple of observations.   And keep in mind I've only been back to working out for less than 3 weeks.

My resting pulse used to be 98 to 104.  Now, it's 64 to 72.  No, I didn't magically get amazing cardio capability resulting in a lower pulse. I got the damn sugar out of my system. My entire body is relaxed more because I have my disease under control. That means a longer life. On that same subject, my resting BP is still high, but down as well. My normal resting bp has been around 154/98 for many years. Now, it's 140/88 on average.  Which incidentally is the new target guideline for diabetics (actually 140/90)

I DO have a prescription for blood pressure medication. I do NOT take it. Why? it makes me sick. And, it didn't lower my bp as much as controlling my diabetes meds does. If it doesn't come down much more, I'll get the doc to change my meds.

Now, here's the rest of my numbers. These were drawn 1/15, and will be redrawn near 4/15.  1/16 is when I started Atkins and working out. These are baseline numbers. I'll update when I get the new results back.

Glucose, 247
Creatinine  .63  (this is a kidney function check. .76-1.27 is target. Kind of expected with the diabetes)
Total Cholesterol, 145.  Dead in the middle of normal.
Triglycerides  264.  Should be under 149
HDL cholesterol. 39, should be under 39.
VLDL Cholesterol  53. Should be under 40.
LDL is also 53, should be under 99.
A1C, 12.8
Vitamin D 10.3. Should be at least 30.

Now, many, if not most, MDs, dieticians, and nutritionists will tell you that Atkins will send my Cholesterol numbers through the roof. After all, I eat steak and eggs pretty much daily, and sausage every other day. My MD however, knows better.  I refer to MDs that believe it as flat earthers.  They were taught something in medical school and don't believe that anything else can be true. In ten weeks, I'll prove them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment