Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It's been a bit, I haven't had much to say. But here's a lot.

2 big things.

About a week and a half ago, I took a home kit A1C test. They're made by Bayer, and are fairly good, they tend to run a bit high in my experience. 

The numbers, 90 days. A1C is supposed to be a 90 day average of your Blood Glucose. 7.0 is target for diabetics, 4.0 to 5.6 is non diabetic. 5.6 to 6 is diabetic.

On 1/15 my A1C was 12.8.  Obviously way too damned high. At the 6 week mark, half way to hitting the 90 days, it was 8.7. A drop of just over 4 points. Theoretically, continuing that pace, I'd be non diabetic at around 4.6.   Realistically, I'm probably headed towards a 6, as towards the end of the 90 days the drop will slow.  So, that's a win.

Also, I go through test strips like it's going out of style. I should log it better, but I can still put together trends and gain knowledge.  I've been med free for a bit, I don't think I have much choice in it anymore. If I take meds, I get hypoglycemic. Bad juju in both my lines of work.

Morning sugars are still higher than what the 'book' says the should be, 70 - 94 iirc.  I'm usually in the 110 range.   What else is happening is that even when I eat or drink something that spikes my sugar, like too much coffee creamer, 2 hours later, I'm back to normal, 120 to 140.  I'm still eating very low carb. As I type this, I'm eating a ceasar salad, veal with no breading and a mushroom and onion saute over julienne cut Zucchini.  I don't even like Zucchini, but a little olive oil and salt and it's good to go, a tad tart, but good.   Not zero carb by any means, but certainly pretty low.


Lifting wise, I've started the Wendler 5/3/1 program.  It's explained at the link, but basically, it's a program around tried and true principles of gaining strength.  Not necessarily getting big and ripped, but getting stronger. I think everyone can agree that getting stronger is a good thing. Honestly, if you're reading this, and you don't want to improve yourself, I don't know what the hell to think. That's what this entire blog is about. I'm not saying that you need to get in a gym and lift heavy. But I am saying that if you don't get off your ass and fix yourself, stop wasting your time reading this.

Now, for a little inspiration in case you're worried about weakness in the gym.  One, you don't need to be.  Even guys like Arnold had a time in their lives when they couldn't bench press the bar.  And I guarantee you that guys like Arnold and Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler wouldn't make fun of you for not being able to lift something. They may make fun of you for NOT TRYING, but they, like the vast majority of people in a gym either A, don't give a damn about you, or B, will be encouraging.  I have a fair amount of background in dead lifting, so I'm not new to it, and do well enough that I occasionally get people asking me for advice.  I'm now repping over 400lbs, which is by no means phenomenal, but it's way more than most people will ever think about doing.  I had to lift 20 first. Then I had to lift 30.

I'm squatting over my body weight. Between these two things, one would think I'm pretty strong.  Wrong.

I HURT bench pressing 115 lbs. The bar wobbles and sways and I'm damn near pissing myself trying to do it. Someone that squats over 300lbs should be benching at least 240.  My military press is even worse.   It's so bad that doing the 5/3/1 program, there are a few sets where the bare bar is heavier than I'm supposed to lift for that set.   Honestly, it's humiliating.  It makes me feel like a little weak girl. But, I go do it. I lift it, and I hurt. And here and there I hurt a little less. And then I add another rep.

Never once has anyone in my gym said ANYTHING negative to me about my two highly deficient lifts. Why? Because I'm in there busting my ass to improve myself. In the gym or out, I bust my ass to improve myself, every single day. Anything less is just plain communism!


No comments:

Post a Comment